These hearty sandwiches are filled with tofu and crispy spicy veggies. Although there are a few different components to the sandwich, it is pretty simple to prepare since you only have to make one sauce that is used 3 different ways.
- 1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soya Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1/4 Cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 Cup Thinly sliced cabbage
- ¼ Cup Grated carrots
- 1 Shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 Block Tofu, drained and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 4 small submarine breads (you can also use hot dog buns or mini baguettes)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1/4 Cup Thai Basil
- ¼ cup Fresh Thai Basil
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise or Vegan Mayo
- In a large bowl, combine the rice vinegar, soya sauce, sriracha, honey and sesame oil. Whisk well. Pour out half of the mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and shallots to the large bowl of dressing. Toss well, cover with saran wrap and allow to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise with 2 tbsp of the marinade that you have set aside in the small bowl. Mix well and set aside (this will be the spread for the sandwich).
- To prepare the tofu slices, combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Mix well. Toss the thinly sliced tofu with the cornstarch mixture. Shake off excess and discard mixture. Place the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Put the tofu slices in the pan in a single layer. Allow to cook for about 1 minute and then flip the tofu pieces. Cook for another minute then pour all remaining sauce over the slices, mix well and remove from heat.
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice the breads in half and toast them in a toaster oven or on a baking sheet in an oven on 400 for about 3 minutes. Spread about 1 Tbsp. of the mayonnaise per bread. Add a few tofu slices, a handful of the cabbage mixture, a few tomato and cucumber slices as well as the Thai basil and cilantro leaves.