Vegan Curried “Chicken” and Apple Sandwich - Vegetarian Gourmet
A deliciously satisfying lunch sandwich, that adds a crunchy tartness from the apples and a creaminess from the curried coconut oil. Normally I do not like to use tofu without cooking it first, but in this recipe, the spices from the curry really flavor it well. You can use any bread you like for this sandwich, sometimes I like to pack the tofu mixture in a plastic container and bring some crackers on the side – that also makes a delicious midday meal!Add Favorite
- 8 Slices of Rye Bread (or any bread of choice)
- 4 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
- 2 Tsp. Tobasco
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 Block Tofu, drained and diced
- 2 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and diced
- 3 Scallions, chopped finely
- 3 Stalks Celery, diced
- 8 leaves of Boston or Bib Lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil with the curry powder, lemon juice, tobasco and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine (if your coconut oil is hard, just place it in a small bowl in the microwave for about 10 seconds to soften before trying to mix with the other ingredients).
- Add in the chopped tofu, apple, scallions, and celery to the curry mixture. Mix well to combine.
- To assemble the sandwiches, toast the bread and spread a couple of tablespoons of the tofu mixture onto 4 of the slices of bread. Top with 2 of the leaves of lettuce and close each sandwich with another slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy!