I absolutely love this comforting and hearty tomato based soup! The addition of chickpeas makes it a really satisfying meal.Add Favorite
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, Peeled and Diced
- 1 Carrot, Diced
- 1 Cup Chopped Green Cabbage
- 2 Medium Leeks, Sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Peeled and Minced
- 1 Fresh Chilli Pepper, Minced (Optional)
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 28 Oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add in the onion, carrot, cabbage, leek, garlic, and chilli (if using) and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add contents of the can of diced tomatoes to the pot. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until the tomatoes break down slightly. Add in the vegetable stock, chickpeas and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes more. Add the balsamic vinegar and serve.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.