This is a real Middle Eastern bowl of comfort! Lentils, rice and fried onions all in one bowl – what more can you want!Add Favorite
- 1 Cup Dried Green Lentils
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Tsp. Vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 Onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- salt and Pepper
- 2 cups Water
- In a saucepan over medium high heat combine the lentils, bay leaf and star anise. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and using a colander, strain out all the liquid and discard the bay leaf and star anise. Set the cooked lentils aside.
- In the same saucepan, add 1 tsp of oil and 1 of the chopped onions on medium high heat. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from pan and set aside. This will be used for a garnish later.
- Now add the other tsp of oil and the other chopped onion to the saucepan on medium low heat and cook until soft. Add the cumin and garlic and mix well. Add the rice, cooked lentils, and a large pinch of each salt and pepper. Add the 2 cups of water and raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, transfer the lentil rice to a platter and top with the browned onions from step 2.