This is a great hearty meal to come home to – best of all the crockpot does all the work for you! When making a crockpot meal, I always prepare my ingredients the day before and place them in the fridge in a large bowl. In the morning, I just throw everything together in the crockpot and leave for the day. When I come home dinner is ready! If you are doing so with this meal, I recommend keeping the rice separate from the other ingredients. Mix together in the crockpot in the morning.Add Favorite
- 1 Tsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Vegan Sausages, roughly chopped (any brand you like)
- 1 Tsp. Freshly Grated Turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp. Saffron Threads
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 Jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 1 Can Whole Tomatoes, broken apart slightly with your fingers
- 1 Can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- salt and Pepper
- 2 Cups long grain rice such as Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Water
- ¼ cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh Dill, chopped
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- In a skillet over medium heat add the vegetable oil with the garlic, jalapeño, sausages, onions and mushrooms. Sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring until slightly browned. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. This step is optional, but will give you an overall deeper flavor.
- Place all your ingredients (except for the parsley, dill and lemon) in the crockpot with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving toss in the fresh dill, parsley and lemon wedges.