Classic Middle Eastern Lentil Soup - Vegetarian Gourmet
This is a recipe for the traditional Middle Eastern lentil soup. It is one of my favourite comfort food recipes! Full of lentils and veggies and flavoured with cumin and coriander seeds, just an overall delicious soup! Although I usually encourage you to season with salt throughout your cooking, in this recipe it is important to not add the salt until the very end. The reason is because I use dried lentils, and they will not soften if you add salt at the beginning!Add Favorite
- 1 Tsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 Cup Green Lentils
- 2 Onions, peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped finely
- 1 Jalapeño, diced finely
- ½ cup chopped Carrots
- 2 Stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Coriander Seeds
- 8 Cups Vegetable Stock or water
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- ½ Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- In a pot over medium low heat combine the oil with onions, chilli and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and stir for 1 minute. Add the celery, carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the lentils have cooked all the way through.
- Just before serving add the parsley and salt and pepper. This can be served with a squeeze of fresh lime, if desired.